A great summer outdoor activity! Sponges are great in 'slime' making mounds of froth and providing exercise for small hands.
What you need:
- 1 cup of Lux soap flakes
- 2 litres of warm water
- Egg beaters
- Large container (like a fish container)
- Kitchen gadgets, funnels, strainers, whisk, soup ladles, punnets, jugs, sponges
What to do:
Adult: Dissolve soap flakes in warm water in a large plastic container. Allow to stand until it becomes thick, add more water if necessary. Beat mixture with egg beaters, children can help!
Use kitchen gadgets to pour, measure, scoop, beat and whisk. Encourage children to use words to describe how the mixture feels and what they are doing. Avoid getting mixture in eyes.
Baking Soda Volcano
Some damp sand, a plastic container (like a drink bottle), baking soda, vinegar, a spoon and red food colouring. (The bigger the volcano, the greater the quantity of ingredients).
What to do:
1. Build a volcano like a mound out of the sand and make a crater in the top
2. Place the container in the crater and bury it up to its neck
3. Put a few teaspoons of baking soda in the container
4. Fill to the top with vinegar, add a few drops of food colouring, stir briefly and stand back (some people like to add warm water and a few drops of detergent here too).
5. Keep topping up the lava flow by adding more vinegar
Note: Children should be supervised by an adult